23 05 2007

Yesterday was a very long day for me. My wakeup call was about 4:30 am. As I got up, and started my normal routine, I realized that I had beaten the sun in rising. I haven’t done that for a couple of months.  I enjoy getting up before the sunrise…I haven’t quite figured out why. The reason I was up so early was so that I could catch a plane to Oregon.  My flight left at 6:15am, and I was glad that I didn’t have to go to PDX this time, so I was a bit more leisurely in my pre-planing. Another reason I was doing things as normal was that I was coming back the same day.

I arrived at work at 9:40am, and I had somewhat of a busy day as I was trying to cram all my person-to-person time into one day. It’s not the most effective way to work, but I’ll take what I can get. After a full day, it came time to go home. The flight left Oregon at 4pm. I arrived back in Chandler at 6:30pm. I was home by 7pm.

Coming home after such a non-normal day was quite surreal. I started my work day in Arizona, flew to Oregon and worked as if nothing was different, and flew back. No big deal. But the climate was different and the environment was different. It felt weird because normally it’s such a big deal to go so far, yet this trip was so quick and efficient that I was home only a few minutes after we touched down.

As soon as I arrived at home, I was greated by three excited girls. All were happy to see me, and as happened before, they had a hard time letting me put my bag down before they all started talking to me at once. I know they were excited to see me, so, I tried not to dampen their enthusiasm. After all, it’s quite nice to know that someone misses me.

After dinner, I thought it would be good to spend time with the kids; after all, I was not there when they woke up in the morning. We went upstairs and started kid wrestling. We eventually moved into our bedroom where Annabelle surprised me again by climbing onto our bed. She and Eliana started playing around and bouncing on the bed. They were having a good time. Then Annabelle went to the foot of the bed, and tried to hold herself up on the baseboard, when her hand slipped or missed the board entirely, and she fell, hitting her head on the board. At first, I thought it was just your normal bump on the head and I grabbed her close and began to comfort her. Then I pulled her away to see this big red spot on her forehead. I took her to the bathroom and washed it off, and noticed the blood on my cheek. The cut was just below her eyebrow, but not on her eyelid, but I figured it was wide enough to require stitches.  After cleaning up the wound with water and putting some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid, I headed for the pediatric ER with Annabelle. It was almost 9pm by the time I left the house.

The ER was a little more comfortable to visit this time around since we had both spent the night their before. It took a little while to get a bed to be treated, but overall, it wasn’t the 4 or 5 hour (or more) wait some might expect.  As the nurse admitted us to our bed, I noticed a police officer standing next to some toys. He was talking to a nurse. As I walked by, I couldn’t help but think about the experience some family friends told us about what happened to them when their daughter was found to have a skull fracture, and the pain of having to deal with Child Protective Services. I knew that I had nothing to worry about because I have never and will never abuse my kids, but they don’t know that until they go through their process. It ended up that I didn’t even have to talk to him or any officer about how Annabelle got hurt.

After about an hour, the doctor was ready to get some stitches for Annabelle. But first, Annabelle needed to be given some medications so that she is easier to deal with and doesn’t feel the pain. She put a local agent to help numb the wound. It was like a big bandaid with some ointment underneath. Then, after a short break, it was time for the coup de gras, the local anesthetic. I was a little surprised to learn that she was to take this stuff in the nose. As the nurse tried to inject it, Annabelle obviously didn’t like it. She shook her head left and right in protest, but, eventually the nurse completed her task. Annabelle was quite angry, and let the nurse know it.

After about 5 minutes, it was pretty obvious that Annabelle was completely under the influence of this medication. Her eyes drooped a little, her speech was a little slurred, and the slightest things made her laugh. At one point, she tried to talk to me:



Drunken Baby Laugh

It was really funny to see Annabelle like this. All the nurses were laughing with her. All the nurses also commented that she is such a pretty baby. They should know because they see a lot of babies.

Shortly she came back with a needle and injected some skin expanding agent under the wound. The doctor was rather quick with the threading, but I could tell she was experienced in this procedure. She was careful when putting the needle through Annabelle’s skin.

After three stitches, Annabelle was taped up, and ready to go home and sleep. And so was I. After being up since 5am, it was 11:30pm by the time I finally returned home. It was a long day, but definitely a busy one.

Powered by ScribeFire.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: